Showing posts with label treatment options. Show all posts
Showing posts with label treatment options. Show all posts

Friday, July 11, 2008

Decision made (7/9/08)

I decided to start this blog on 7/11/08. I didn't want to go back and tell the story...just wouldn't be the same as what I was feeling at the time. So I'm coping these older posts from several emails I sent to my best girlfriends.
This is from an email I sent the evening of 7/9/08:


The chest scan was clear so the cancer has not spread. I talked to both the Internal Medicine doc and the surgeon late this afternoon. They didn't exactly suggest which way I go with this but I felt like by what they were saying, they were in a way suggesting the best alternative (hope that makes sense).

Since radiation is not an option because I can't afford it, that leaves 2 options.
  1. Based on the surgeon's opinion, they can attempt to remove the tumor and estimate a 40% chance of recurrence. If I go that route, the area will be large because they have to remove the surrounding tissue. They don't do skin grafts in dogs but they do something similar called a "skin flap"...that would cost $3000-$4000. It would be a difficult surgery and recovery. If the cancer comes back, at that point, there won't be much tissue left so amputation would likely be the only alternative. And if the cancer does come back, it's possible that it could spread somewhere else like his lungs or chest cavity.
  2. The other option would be amputation - which would pretty much guarantee the cancer won't return. It would cost $1500-$2000 and would likely be at the lower end of that scale based on his size. I talked to the surgeon at length about this and she said it's a very routine surgery that rarely has any complications. Dogs adjust very quickly and are normally back to completely regular activity in 3 weeks or less. She said it's amazing how quick they adjust and recover. She said her take on it is that "god gives dogs 3 legs and spare" - that made me feel better.
So I made the decision to have the leg removed - I want to save his life and give him the best and easiest recovery. That's what my gut is telling me to do. I feel at peace with my decision.

I could have it done tomorrow but I don't feel quite ready yet. So I made the appointment for next Thursday and I should be able to bring him home Saturday. I will be able to visit him twice a day for 30 minutes for as long as he's in the hospital. Him and Gidget will need to be separated when I'm not home (for a few weeks) but he'll be fine being left by himself. He'll be able to walk and get around immediately. She said in about 3 days, they adjust to it and are able to walk around fine. She suggested I get him some cute clothes because it's often upsetting to the owners to see the area.

I ended up talking to a lady on another message board I'm on and she's a vet. She said she's been involved in many amputations and the dogs do very well immediately. She said once they wake up from the anesthesia, they have all been able to get up and walk outside to potty. She said it's like an instant adjustment.

Unfortunately, my normal vet can't do the surgery (they only have one doc that does this and he's out because of a broken leg and they don't know if he'll return). So I'm having the surgery at CVS (the specialist)...meaning I'm paying a lot more than I would at a vet. But I trust them and got a really good feeling from them.

More waiting (7/9/08)

I decided to start this blog on 7/11/08. I didn't want to go back and tell the story...just wouldn't be the same as what I was feeling at the time. So I'm coping these older posts from several emails I sent to my best girlfriends.
This is from an email I sent on 7/9/08:


Went to the specialist this morning...it was an Internal Medicine doctor. He said basically the same stuff I had already read online. The cancer doesn't usually spread to other parts of the body but does have a high recurrence rate at the original location. The treatment options would be surgical removal of the tumor (with wide margins), removal and radiation, or amputation. I need a surgical consult to get a better idea of which route to take. From what I've read online and what the doctor said, if you just remove the tumor without radiation, it will usually come back and possibly spread and would definitely be more difficult to remove. The recommended course of treatment is usually removal and radiation - radiation costs $5000-$7000 and would be 5 days a week for 3 to 4 weeks so he would have to stay wherever that place is - I can't afford that so that removes that as an option. With amputation, it eliminates the risk of it coming back and spreading. So I left Buster to have bloodwork, chest scan (to be sure it hasn't spread because that will totally change things), and to have a surgical consult. I should know more later today and should get to pick him up after work.

Waiting to see the specialist.... (7/7/08)

I decided to start this blog on 7/11/08. I didn't want to go back and tell the story...just wouldn't be the same as what I was feeling at the time. So I'm coping these older posts from several emails I sent to my best girlfriends.
This is from an email I sent the evening of 7/7/08:

Well, my vet called CVS about getting me in sooner and they can but it costs even more because it would be classified as an "emergency" (either $108 or $180 extra - I couldn't understand her) - WTF?! So I'm going to wait until next Monday...my vet said that would be ok.

I've been doing a lot of reading and although this type of cancer doesn't tend to spread to other parts of the body, it does have a high reoccurence rate in the original spot. Radiation or chemo is highly recommended which can last up to 6 weeks. From what I've read online, amputation seems to be best because then it can't come back and he would only have to recover once (vs an open wound from tumor removal and then weeks of radiation or chemo). While amputation sounds awful, from what I've read, they recover from it really well and pretty quick. So I guess we'll see what the specialist says in a week. I did call them back and ask them to please make a note and call me if they have any cancellations within the next week.