Friday, July 11, 2008

Waiting to see the specialist.... (7/7/08)

I decided to start this blog on 7/11/08. I didn't want to go back and tell the story...just wouldn't be the same as what I was feeling at the time. So I'm coping these older posts from several emails I sent to my best girlfriends.
This is from an email I sent the evening of 7/7/08:

Well, my vet called CVS about getting me in sooner and they can but it costs even more because it would be classified as an "emergency" (either $108 or $180 extra - I couldn't understand her) - WTF?! So I'm going to wait until next vet said that would be ok.

I've been doing a lot of reading and although this type of cancer doesn't tend to spread to other parts of the body, it does have a high reoccurence rate in the original spot. Radiation or chemo is highly recommended which can last up to 6 weeks. From what I've read online, amputation seems to be best because then it can't come back and he would only have to recover once (vs an open wound from tumor removal and then weeks of radiation or chemo). While amputation sounds awful, from what I've read, they recover from it really well and pretty quick. So I guess we'll see what the specialist says in a week. I did call them back and ask them to please make a note and call me if they have any cancellations within the next week.

No comments: