Friday, July 11, 2008

My baby might have cancer?!?!? (7/3/08)

I decided to start this blog on 7/11/08. I didn't want to go back and tell the story...just wouldn't be the same as what I was feeling at the time. So I'm coping these older posts from several emails I sent to my best girlfriends.
This is from an email I sent on 7/3/08:

Just thought I would tell you what's going on with my baby. Most of you know that he has this place on his front leg (near his knee) that is about the size of a marble. I noticed it on my birthday. It doesn't seem to bother him at all so I wasn't very worried about it. I took him to the vet this morning and she said she thought it was a mass cell tumor (cancer) but took a biopsy to check. Regardless what it is, it will need to be removed. Since it's pretty big that will be difficult because they won't be able to close the area so it will be an open wound. So when I left, she said she would look at the cells and call me back.

This is from an email I sent Chandra - I don't feel like re-typing right now.
>
The vet called me back. She said it shows no signs of being a "mass cell tumor" which is what she was pretty sure it was. It does show signs of being a "fibro sarcoma" which is a very aggressive form of cancer. Also could be a hysto-something which is not cancer but is a growth that would need to be removed. It could still be a mass cell tumor although it doesn't look like it. She said she's surprised by what she's seeing - that it doesn't appear to be a mass cell tumor. She said some other stuff but I didn't understand the doctor talk.

Bottom line - she asked me if I wanted to send it to a pathologist ($95) so I said yes. She said she would if it were her dog. So she's going to do that and it will hopefully be back on Monday. She sounded really surprised by what she saw. She said she looked at it before lunch, then went to lunch and came back and looked at it again.

God, I can't believe this. I'm so upset. He's my baby. I don't know what I'd do if something happened to him. He's only 8 and chihuahuas can live to be at least 15!

Please pray for my baby!

No comments: